Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Rondezvous and iTunes... What happened?

Rondezvous and iTunes... What happened?
jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 02:42 PM

I could have sworn that at MWNY Steve Jobs showed how two macs using the same base station could share playlists via Rondezvous. Did this ever become reality? I have two iBooks on an Airport Base Station and would love to share music in iTunes!

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 02:44 PM

He said " .....so that's something we're working as a future use of Rendevouz"
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2002, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:
I could have sworn that at MWNY Steve Jobs showed how two macs using the same base station could share playlists via Rondezvous. Did this ever become reality? I have two iBooks on an Airport Base Station and would love to share music in iTunes!
Nope, not yet....an update will be needed for iTunes to take advantage of this capability...look for it sometime before December.

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 03:22 PM

My guess is we will see somthing FAR COOLER than just that.

Imagine a unit to put with your home entertainment system. Driveless. it can connect wireless or wired back to your system(s) and display your itunes library/playlists to your TV/Stereo system

Maybe has a DVD player in it... it can play content in ~/movies on your TV.

It can rip cds to mp3 from the livingroom...

It can record TV shows (tivo)

But then again I could be wrong.

PS, did you know the Nintendo game cube runs on a PPC chip? They also licence third party units to be able to play Game Cube games...

Just food for thought.
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Alex Duffield:

Imagine a unit to put with your home entertainment system. Driveless. it can connect wireless or wired back to your system(s) and display your itunes library/playlists to your TV/Stereo system

PS, did you know the Nintendo game cube runs on a PPC chip? They also licence third party units to be able to play Game Cube games...

Just food for thought.
Man, I can imagine a lot, but nothing at all says any such thing is planned. We've all dreamed of how Apple could create the uber-hub-thing, but it would undoubtedly cost so much that then everyone would complain.

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 03:46 PM

an mp3 sterio component is nice. but if you think about it you don't reall need one, you already have a computer. All you really need to do is plug your mac into your sterio. either with a "Y" wire (don't know the name) that could go into your headphone jack or with something more sophisticated that comes out of usb, firewire, or airport. this could be the "sender" and a wireless (or wired) "receiver" that has output conectors to your sterio. maybe the receiver could accept inrared and beam back to the mac to play the next song. but the songs don't have to be on this sterio component.

now, what i really want is for all the songs on all my computers to be synced, either by copying or just syncying the playlists. when iTunes 4 can do this i will be very happy.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Sep 4, 2002, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Nope, not yet....an update will be needed for iTunes to take advantage of this capability...look for it sometime before December.

Actually he said 8 -10 months away.

piracy
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:

Actually he said 8 -10 months away.
Actually, he said 6-9 months. On another topic, how come so many people became deaf and dumb at this point during the keynote, hearing and seeing everything about playlist sharing, etc etc etc, but NOT hearing that Jobs said in the same breath, "This is kind of stuff you'll see 6 to 9 months out in iTunes."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2002, 04:42 PM

Actually he said "We have this technology now, but we are trying to figure out a way to make some serious money off of it *or* to make .mac worth the $100 per year."

he went on to say, after a long pause "Oh, one last thing, you can now copy DVDs with the new iMac... F@#$ the MPAA!!!"

I know I shouldn't have had that third cup of coffee today!

HamSandwich
Sep 4, 2002, 04:47 PM

Steve also said early NEXT year, so MW Tokyo is not unlikely IMHO.

Steve

zcasper
Sep 4, 2002, 04:48 PM

Either ways - that whole demo was canned. It really amazed how they have a PowerBook display on screen with no wires!

Amazing Apple technology.

z

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 04:58 PM

Actually, Steve said, "Keep your panties on and your mouths shut, and you'll have it when it's ready."

At least, that's what I heard.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by zcasper:
Either ways - that whole demo was canned. It really amazed how they have a PowerBook display on screen with no wires!

z
Err, if I recall correctly, the big screen was showing Steve's desktop machine, not Phil Schiller's PowerBook.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Gee-Man
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
Err, if I recall correctly, the big screen was showing Steve's desktop machine, not Phil Schiller's PowerBook.
Absolutely correct. I remember too, in the keynote Phil Schiller's PowerBook was broadcasting its iTunes library to Jobs' system as soon as he opened it, and only Jobs' system was shown on the big screen, not the PowerBook. The only thing "canned" about the demo was the fact that it was a special version of iTunes that isn't available yet, but what was shown wasn't faked at all.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Gee-Man:
what was shown wasn't faked at all.
How do you know? Jus curious..

sambeau
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

how come so many people became deaf and dumb at this point during the keynote, hearing and seeing everything about playlist sharing, etc etc etc, but NOT hearing that Jobs said in the same breath, "This is kind of stuff you'll see 6 to 9 months out in iTunes."
err.. maybe it was because we were dead excited by it. I don't remember the 6-9 months bit either (not that I deny it was said). I think I just heard "Rendezvous" and then later looked at the Jag features and saw "Rendezvous" there too. 2+2=9.5 and viola - I'm expecting to be able to share my iTunes music with everyone else at work..

funilly enough my macusing workmates all seperately watched the keynote and made the same assumption. we were sorely dissapointed.

ah well

should listen up in future.. or maybe it's that jobs reality distortion field again

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Sep 4, 2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

Actually, he said 6-9 months. On another topic, how come so many people became deaf and dumb at this point during the keynote, hearing and seeing everything about playlist sharing, etc etc etc, but NOT hearing that Jobs said in the same breath, "This is kind of stuff you'll see 6 to 9 months out in iTunes."
I know, scary huh?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 11:12 PM

z
You guys need a serious logic lesson. If the demo was real, iTunes would have been released right away. Duh.

Here's how easy it is to make that demo work as it did:

Make a program that does nothing but ping a hard-coded IP address. When that IP address is NOT available, show an image on the screen that looks like iTunes. When that IP IS available, show an image on the screen that looks like iTunes plus a new playlist that could have been on a different computer. In addition, make it so that if you double click in the image, a pre-defined music file is played.

See how easy it is to fake a Rendezvous-enabled-iTunes demo??

No wonder it's 6-9 months away. Of COURSE it was faked.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

arn
Sep 5, 2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:

You guys need a serious logic lesson. If the demo was real, iTunes would have been released right away. Duh.
Um... that must mean Jaguar was faked at WWDC since it wasn't released right away. Duh.

iCal must have been faked too. Duh.

Your demo would be a bad canned demo. Why don't you watch the actual demo: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwny02/

32 minutes 00 seconds into it.

arn
( Last edited by arn; Sep 5, 2002 at 01:22 AM. )

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by arn:

Um... that must mean Jaguar was faked at WWDC since it wasn't released right away. Duh.

arn
Actually, Jaguar was released right away in that form to developers. iCal also showed up shortly therafter with a list of known bugs for the demonstrator to avoid. Those were also both SIGNIFICANTLY more complex demonstrations, showing that the stuff actually worked. In addition, those demonstrations still avoided the stuff that was not completed.

The iTunes demonstration, for example, was really easy to do as with rendezvous there is no set up. So, demonstrating the entirity of what the user sees is really easy with a cheap hack. A program to do this demo could easily be written in a day or two by someone with just a little experience with Cocoa. Writing the code to do this for real would not be so simple. If the demo were real, it would have been released right away as it demonstrated the entirety of the feature, reliably. There was nothing else to show.

Jaguar and iCal, on the other hand, were significantly more complex demonstrations. Known bugs were avoided by the demonstrator.

Sorry I offended you. But my logic is still valid.

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by Alex Duffield:

Just food for thought.
I've been preaching this idea since the day Rendezvous was announced. It is the perfect extension of the digital hub into the living room. Way better than MS' Multimedia PC.

The box would simply be an extensions of iTunes, iPhoto, and QTSS, plus a DVR. They would have to include a hard drive in the unit so that the DVR would work and they could prevent users from copying shows to their computer just like you can't copy songs from your iPod to your Mac. iTunes playlists, iPhoto albums, and any movies streamed from iMovieLibrarian (possibly just an extension of iMovie) will be available via ethernet or Airport through your A/V system. It would be a simple menu driven OS just like the iPod or TiVo:
Main Menu-->TV, Music, Movies, Photos. The last three would just bring up the playlists from the respective iApps. With Rendezvous it could grab all the playlists from all the computers in the house, even visiting portables! Nothing could be simpler.

No ripping and no burning. Those are things for the center of the digital hub, your Mac.

The unit would be relatively cheap, consisting mainly of a hard drive and memory. This is in stark contrast to MS' approach of putting an entire $2000 PC in your living room. No one wants that. People just want access to their media in their living rooms, not a whole PC. Thus, the Digital Hub in action. Cheaper, simpler and far more integrated since it can seemlessly use media from any machine on the local network. Now that's cool.

kman

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 01:38 AM

Your demo would be a bad canned demo. Why don't you watch the actual demo: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwny02/

32 minutes 00 seconds into it.

arn
Since you modified your post while I was replying:

Sorry, it's been a few months since I watched the thing. I just watched it again. This would STILL be an incredibly simple demo with methods already mentioned. It just requires a THIRD picture. He did nothing in this demo. There are three images of itunes: open doing nothing, open doing nothing with the added playlist, open, playing a song in the playlist.

Even easier than this would be modifying iTunes to turn a playlist off and on based on responses to a ping.

Do you know what a ping is?

arn
Sep 5, 2002, 01:48 AM

Even easier than this would be modifying iTunes to turn a playlist off and on based on responses to a ping.
The point isn't whether or not it can be faked. Anything can be faked. The point is your "logic" is flawed which clearly boils down to:

"the moment a feature is complete, it must be released."

Or some convenient variation thereof....

Regardless, can you not conceive that there are other reasons besides a "feature is complete" as a reason to release a feature? Because the moment you do, your logic is destroyed.

arn

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 02:01 AM

The point isn't whether or not it can be faked. Anything can be faked. The point is your "logic" is flawed which clearly boils down to:

"the moment a feature is complete, it must be released."

Or some convenient variation thereof....

Regardless, can you not conceive that there are other reasons besides a "feature is complete" as a reason to release a feature? Because the moment you do, your logic is destroyed.

arn
If the feature was actually complete (this includes no bugs), it would have been included, as this was advertized as a Jaguar feature.

If it were complete enough to do what they demonstrated on stage, it would have been out within a month or two--at most.

Otherwise, it was a fake and not a demonstration of a nearly complete feature.

You got me on a minor logic detail (the one you are making a fuss about). However, the point I was TRYING to make is that it is clearly a fake that was demonstrated as they don't expect it to work right for quite a few months. A fake could easily have been made. An actual demonstration would have required a functional product, which would not be 6 to 9 months to release, and thus, would have been included with Jaguar or iTunes 3.

arn
Sep 5, 2002, 02:09 AM

You got me on a minor logic detail (the one you are making a fuss about). However, the point I was TRYING to make is that it is clearly a fake that was demonstrated as they don't expect it to work right for quite a few months. A fake could easily have been made. An actual demonstration would have required a functional product, which would not be 6 to 9 months to release, and thus, would have been included with Jaguar or iTunes 3.
I'm not trying to be difficult... but that minor point is a major point because you base your entire first post on it... and act like everyone is an idiot for not coming to the same conclusion ("duh"). anyhow... to move on...

The question now becomes...

How long would it take for Apple to integrate Rendevous functionality into iTunes as demoed?

Personally, if they really wanted it, I doubt it would take them 6-9 months. Do you really believe it would take them _that_ long to do that functionality?

How long would you say? 1 good month? 1 good week? Probably... if that.

Which brings us back to the assumption that you make. If Apple could code this in 1 month (let's say for now) - why is it going to take them 6-9 months to release it? That means they are delaying it 5-8 months for other reasons... right?

Now, if you agree with me so far -- If you believe that they are delaying it 5-8 months for other reasons.... why isn't it possible that it's ready, and they are actually delaying it 6-9 months instead?

arn

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 02:24 AM

The question now becomes...

How long would it take for Apple to integrate Rendevous functionality into iTunes as demoed?
That, I don't know. It depends on how iTunes was built. It may be easy. It may be a ground-up rewrite, which may take a while. If they are going to do a ground up re-write, they may add other features, which may add more time. They may not have even begun working on that feature yet. They may not have man-power focusing on that, as the OS itself needs to be finished. I haven't yet read the developer documentation for rendezvous. It may not be easy.

Sorry for being an a-hole.

note that the beginning of the article is people in shock that iTunes does not support this feature already. I took Jobs' speech as being an appology for not yet having even started on the feature, saying "we'll get this done in our spare time."

Gee-Man
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by sambeau:
How do you know? Jus curious..
I guess I sounded more confident than I intended - honestly, I really don't know for absolute SURE that the demo was real and not faked. HOWEVER, I was there at the keynote - and I can say with a fair amount of certainty that it was more than a simple image that was swapped in when Phil Schiller opened his powerbook (addressing Detrius' point here...). For one thing, I remember that the playlist area showed a new "folder" which Jobs had to OPEN to display the contents of the "library". The elaborate conspiracy theory sounds a great deal more complicated than creating a utility to read the contents from a remote volume and play MP3 songs from that. Several people outside of Apple have already written shareware utilities to do this, it can't be that complicated for Apple to do it themselves for a brief demo.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2002, 06:51 AM

z
Sorry but I didnt understand your post, try again?
what did you mean no wires?

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

sambeau
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 07:50 AM

just tried to watch the keynote again.
Seems it's gone
Get "-3285: Disconnected" message..

booh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules